Saturday, May 22, 2010

No Poo for You

What I really mean is no poo for me, but it just doesn't have the same ring. If you missed the back story including info on days one through five read The Sebum Challenge here


Day 6
It was the strangest thing, the greasy hair I had when I went to sleep was just gone this morning. It sounds gross, but I checked my pillow case expecting an oily mess. Nothing. Because I did not trust what I could see, I did do a baking soda wash this morning. It feels good right now, but I can still feel a bit of over oily on the tips where I experimented with the olive oil.
I also found that sprinkling the baking soda on dry hair and massaging before showering was easier. I felt that I got more complete coverage or something. I also used the paste on the area that was over olive oiled (SERIOUSLY, what was I thinking!).  


Day 7
You may begin to see a theme here. I laid in bed too long this morning and did not shower. My hair looked like hell, but mostly because I was about to pull it all out over stupid work stuff. Not oily or smelly. I think the baking soda does a WAY better job of cleaning my hair than shampoo did. I have a lot less frizz and a lot more body.


Day 8
You know things are getting desperate when I dream about wheather or not I should shampoo my hair. Today is the second time I've showered with out any type of cleansing treatment. I just wet my hair, massaged the scalp and rinsed with really hot water. It smells fine, I guess sebum doesn't really have an odor.


Day 9
Used the dry application method this morning with baking soda, massaged in the shower then rinsed. The baking soda does such an amazing job of clearing up the oily look and getting rid of any smell that I was worried that it was still washing away all of the sebum. It is pretty obvious from the way my hair feels when it is wet that the sebum is still there. It feels like a fine coating of wax on my hair. It's becoming obvious that my strange hair cut will not work in this new au natural hair, but I'm certainly not ready to take that plunge yet. 
Later Day 9
Not getting the baking soda completely rinsed out is a big problem. My hair is stiff and scary right now (but not oily). Note to self, quicker shower, rinse with HOT water.


Day 10
Today was my company picnic in the park, sweat and dirt and sports, oh my. This morning I washed with very little baking soda and rinsed with super hot water. I think I've been using to much baking soda so I'm going to fiddle around with the ratio. Pulled my hair back into a pony tail while wet and it was still wet when I got home. I also made a side trip and picked up some Burts Bees shampoo and conditioner that do not contain SLS. I don't know if I'm built for this no pooing. I'm going to do a little research into the shampoo ingredients. 


Day 11
I have a spa appointment today. Am I brave enough to go to the spa without shampooing? I don't know but I don't have long to figure it out. I'm thinking of cutting my hair super short, it might make the no poo easier to deal with...
I resisted the sinister pull of shampoo (natural is a good thing) but I did change my baking soda mixture to 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 1 cup water. I think the extra baking soda was making the ends feel brittle. I also added a vinager rinse for conditioning. It feels really good right now, but like I mentioned yesterday, it takes a lot longer to dry these days.

1 comment:

  1. I washed with baking soda for the first time yesterday and I was amazed with the results. It worked really well and my hair felt squeaky clean and soft afterwards. But I followed different instructions to you and used just one teaspoon of soda to a cup of water. I put about half of that on my dry head, massaged it into my scalp then rinsed well.

    I don't know if it helps that we have really soft water here? I'm looking forward to how things develop, but so far it's looking good.

    ReplyDelete