Friday, July 6, 2012

Grapefruit Marmalade

Not long ago I got some lovely grapefruit from our CSA (Farm Fresh To You) and was at a loss what to do with them With a little searching I came across this recipe by Nigella Lawson for Pink Grapefruit Marmalade and realized that I would no longer be afraid of marmalade. 


This was my third batch and it's a bit darker than the first but I prefer this texture and am willing to sacrifice the color for it. I absolutely love this stuff melted over a grilled or pan seared chicken breast.


Grapefruit Marmalade


3 large grapefruit
26 ounces of refined sugar
26 ounces of brown sugar
Juice of two lemons


This is another water bath canning project so check out that link if you need more info. The fun starts with tossing the three grapefruit in a large pan full of boiling water. Boil those suckers for about 2 hours turning every 30 minutes or so for even cooking. You will have to add more water and if you want to keep to the two hour time, you should add boiling water when they get low.


At the end of the time take the grapefruit out and let them cool thoroughly before processing. Now here is where I split from the recipe provided. For a chunky texture and light golden brown color, chop the fruit by hand into a course chop. I like is smoother so I toss it in batches into the blender to make a pretty thick puree. 


Now you put all of the ingredients in a pot over high heat and stir until combined well. Bring it up to a hard boil and boil for 15 minutes or until it jells the way you like it. 


Then put the hot liquid into your hot canning jars and process in the water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and delight in the pop of a properly sealed jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment